9.01.2007

MN Twins Game

Casey and I (Annika included) decided on a whim to go down and see the Twins play the Royals on Friday night. Of course, watching a team like the Twins (who are quickly falling out of playoff contention) play the Royals (one of the worst teams in the league) does not usually make for an exciting game. Well, it turned out to be one of the best games that I ever been too! First of all, we pulled into the parking garage and parked right next to a good friend of mine who we didn't even know was going to the game! It was pretty funny considering there are only 50 parking garages that you could go to in a metro area that has over a million people! But then again, this was the cheapest garage to park in and since we are both assistant pastors...you figure it out.

They had tickets...we did not. So Casey and I walked up to a guy that was selling tickets and we bought two decent seats for half price - $10 a ticket. I was pretty happy until I got to the gate and they were for the first makeup game that was played earlier that day! So I ran all the way back and fortunately the guy was still there. He made an honest mistake, give us five bucks back, and gave us seats in the same section.

Now to the game. Scott Baker pitched for the Twins. He is a 25 year old pitcher who carries a 4. whatever ERA. In other words, he is not the greatest pitcher. But on this night he was stellar. He pitched a perfect game until the ninth inning and when I say perfect - I mean no walks and no hits. In the ninth inning he walked a Royal and it is the only time I have every heard 30,000 fans boo when the pitcher played like that (I think they were booing the ump). In the end, just to see a near-perfect game was well worth the trip even though we were watching two out of contention teams. We all had a great time!


No comments: